Hard drives are mortal unlike me! So, some day or the other day, these fail which results in data loss or it would be more appropriate to say, ‘a catastrophe’. I believe no nightmare is as terrifying as that of a data loss. You work, save files and data, you work again and come back for some other files and then you find them nowhere. And now you are helpless! You might want to pull your hairs, call your geeky bro for help, or perhaps bang the table and shed few drops of salty tears!
Well, considering your situation, this article would certainly act as the aid for your woes. Follow up this text matter till the rock bottom to know how to recover lost data. But before that, let’s take down a crystal note of the various reason behind data losses.
So how this data-massacre does take place?
Firstly, a hardware issue can lead us to data loss. Any hard drive malfunctioning, overheating within the hard drive chamber, software malfunctioning like writing data into some wrong place or even you might have mistakenly deleted those files (well am not blaming you. Please don’t get mad at me, this seldom happens! To err is Human).
Since the Satan has seized your valuable data, what next?
The first thing to do is to ‘do nothing with files’. Yes, immediately stop creating or editing files into your hard drive. That’s because on adding or deleting further files from that drive will overwrite the last performed activity form the memory and then recovering those deleted files would be practically backbreaking. So don’t do that. And then, I present to you, ‘Recuva’, a recovery tool from the makers of ‘CCleaner’ viz. Piriform.
Recuva is Piriform’s latest offering to aid data loss disasters. This data recovery program currently runs under Microsoft platform and is capable of working with both the FAT and the NTFS file systems. I will provide you all with a bulleted list of all the goodies that comes bundled with this great recovery tool.
- You can recover lost data from damaged disks even after formatting.
- Recover your iPod music files.
- Recover lost and unsaved word documents after MS Word crash.
- Recover lost data from anywhere like flash drives, USBs, hard drive, camera, iPod etc.
- Recover deleted emails.
- Delete files securely forever.
- Has a deep scanning feature to thoroughly go through each targeted drives.
How does ‘Recuva’ work?
‘Recuva’ is a simple data recovery tool with a really intuitive and clean looking interface with no complexity in terms of usage. Once you locate the .exe shortcut for recuva and double click it, a screen is displayed in front of you.
- This is the welcome screen and you just need to click on the 'next' button to proceed to the next screen which asks you to identify which type of data you have lost. if you have multiple type of data, blindly check the first option which comes as checked by default. Proceed with the next button.
- Here in this step, you will be asked to target a drive location in which recuva will perform the scan. Now the screen shows you all the possible locations where you can try locating your file. In case of a flash drive choose for the last option and browse any location or folder to perform the search and recuva does what it's good at. And in case you don't know where exactly to search, go for the first option. This option makes Recuva to search your whole computer for the lost file.
- After confirming this step, yes the next image. click on 'start' to initiate this program. For a deep scan check the box against it. And then as the scan starts, you can visualize its progress.
- After the scan gets completed, you can see a list of all the deleted files. The left hand site of deleted item list, the right hand side has a preview window which works with certain types of file.
- While in any case if the cluster of the deleted file is replaced by some other file then even you can get its path but sadly, that file will be unrecoverable. Further, when you have marked the files you need to recover, just right click and click on the recover option and within a minute, your file will gain its existence.
Recuva is easily usable by users even with basic computer skills and it’s certainly its positive point. The only thing to keep in mind is, not to create or delete any file after you face any accidental data deletion. Once you do it, recuva won’t be able to bring back your data alive. Recuva scans only within the surface of the drives and thus overwriting any files further after data deletion makes recuva unable to perform that deep rooted scan and that is it’s only cons. If unfortunately you have already done that, you might need to consult a recovery professional or try some alternatives to recover lost data. So the next time you delete any file and would require to recover lost data, your first task would be to run recuva. Happy recovering lost data!